Locked In Plan B?

Four of us became locked inside our RV. The door lock would not open after multiple attempts. I took apart the inside cover and tried moving the latch mechanism to no avail. Called for help out the window and a neighbor came over. Still couldn't open from the outside. Camp host came and eventually got it unjammed.

I'm putting a new lock assembly in when I get home.

But more importantly, what is a contingency plan B if this ever happens again? Is jumping out an 8 foot window the only option?

This is scary!

Thanks,

JD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JDPenn said:

But more importantly, what is a contingency plan B if this ever happens again? Is jumping out an 8 foot window the only option?

This is scary!

Thanks,

JD

Pretty much!

On our last winter trip I started thinking about this. I 'used' to stick my e-bike right under our bedroom emergency exit window just incase it rained, and, I could lock it to one of the rims. Started thinking, "that would probably hurt landing on that during the night"!

Now I keep the areas clear under my escape windows.

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

Here's another option.  I do keep a few basic tools inside coach, just in case.   I find myself adjusting the entrance door linkage about 1x/year.  Lube it at the same time.

Yep!

You want to keep on top of those adjustments and lubrication, before you get locked in / out!

• Like 2

I have helped several people over the years with Monacoes that the door would not unlock. Check the studs that the latch attaches to. I found the studs were loose, the door was facing the sun and due to expansion the stud kept the door from opening.

• Like 1

You didn’t mention what the camp host did to resolve the issue? That might give clues to the source of the problem.

The entry door on our 2005 Exec has always been finicky, even from the start. While we were still at the selling dealer’s “campground” post-purchase, I went off to work and my wife couldn’t get the entry door open. She called the service department and they showed her how to relieve a little of the pressure on the mechanism by pulling on the interior handle (or pushing on the door in their case) while releasing the latch. To this day, if someone forgets and slams the door to hard on the way out, we have to use this trick to open it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tmw188 said:

We have electric locks and I’m always on my wife to quit slamming the door, close it gently it doesn’t take that much. 

My Dad used to have us "practice" closing the door 100 times if he heard us slam it.  image.png.0a9437d4f3c0940ee867b12237fb0e2d.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2