Bed slide roller repair

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

In a recent post I explained that the slide topper on the bedroom slide seems to create a lot of drag and tilting the slide top inward when extending the slide.  See the post:

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/9060-slide-topper-spring-drag/#comment-99074

After re-installing the topper with the new spring, the problem still existed. This needed some more investigation. and after lifting the slide we were able to confirm that there were no obstructions we could see and that the rollers could be rotated very easily. Yet the top of the slide still seemed to drag and there was a lot of squealing coming from under the bed. We checked and there were no suckling piglets there, LOL. There was the normal wiper seal sounds and that was normal and expected.

My son, a mechanical engineer, was helping and crawled under the bed to listen and feel the rollers when the bed was being extended. He said that there was a lot of vibration when it was squealing (best description of the sound). Time for surgery ….. He removed the 2 bolts holding the roller assembly and we then looked at the part (photo #1). There is no part number and it looks like a Monaco factory-built unit (just my guess). The adjustable roller can be removed from the inside of the coach (in our case) from under the bed, after raising the side.

As can be seen in the second photo, the bar containing the rollers seems to be bowed causing the rollers to be forced to the ends and rubbing on the sides. Well, being the engineer, he had invested in a hydraulic press and using this we were able to flatten the bow of the bar (sorry no after photo). We re-installed the roller and then proceeded to operate the slide several times. The end result is that the squealing is now gone and the apparent dragging we had experienced, has disappeared to our great relief.

Having the hydraulic press was very helpful and process took us less than an hour until the slide was operating as expected. Cause of the bent roller carrier bar? It could be overloading of the slide (before anyone judges, we both weigh less than 200 lbs, each), slide storage is what I was referring to.

So far we are relieved that the issue was repaired even though I had replaced the slide topper spring. I hope that this experience is helpful to other members of this great forum.

Slide-roller1.jpeg

Slide-roller2.jpeg

13 hours ago, Martinvz said:

Jim, Thanks for adding that. With a little modification, it one of those could work.

Could the moderators please add the site to the parts list?

Actually the info on Case Hudson is mentioned on page 159 in the parts list.  On the next revision I'll add more detail to expand beyond just a 2002 Windsor.  Thanks.