Roadmaster 9160 quick release valve

jacwjames

So I had driven +2750 miles and driving through Seattle WA I notice that the brake activation light for the Roadmaster braking system wasn't coming on, it had been.  Initially I thought I might have forgot to hook up the air line at the front of the Jeep and/or inside.  NOPE.

Had to wait until I got to a campsite do some checking.  I pressed and held the brake down in the Jeep with something and then checked the light on the coach dash, it was on. I then used something to press and hold the brake pedal down in the coach, the brake lights on the Jeep weren't coming on so I opened the door and heard air releasing out the quick release valve on the side of the cylinder. 

So I took the Air Cylinder Assembly off and into the coach and took the the quick release valve apart, fount the rubber diaphragm  had failed.  Check on the Roadmaster website, it took awhile to find a replacement but they had changed PN and they did not list a diaphragm PN.  Figures. 

I called Roadmaster tech support, he said they only showed the whole thing, no separate PN for the diaphragm.    They are located in Vancouver WA and as a last resort I would swing by there to pick one up.

Stopped at a NAPA store and was disappointed that they didn't have anything to replace it.   I did find the OEM part, it is a Humphreys SQE-1, but NAPA couldn't cross this.  They recommended checking with Eric's RV repair in Squim WA, ~20 miles to the east.

So I called Erics and he knew what I needed and thought me might have one.  I went a head and headed that way but when I got there he didn't have one.  He had an old Brakemaster but it was a different design that relied on a spring to pull the cylinder back in.   He called Roadmaster and got the new part number as RM450601-50, and ordered in time for next day delivery.

The good news is that the new quick release valve worked, bad news is it was $69.83.   If I was home I could have ordered a Humphreys for ~$30.  https://www.humphrey-products.com/products/the-humphrey-quick-exhaust-shuttle/SQE1-shuttle  There are multiple sources for this valve.

The do sell a kit Humphrey 141-33 but it's almost as expensive as a new valve

BTW, there was construction on a road coming out of yet another Mavrick fuel station, narrow access to get back on the road and my passenger side wheel dropped off and hit concrete and bent the rim popped the seal on the inner tire.  $1070 road call, I went ahead an put on a new tire just in case, $580 but the road call was ~$300 plus tax and feed . 

Just a minor bump in the road during this trip. 

I

Roadmaster quick release valve apart.jpg

Roadmaster quick release valve diaphram broke.jpg

Roadmaster quick release valve old vs new.jpg

Roadmaster quick release valve PN.jpg