Airbag (air spring) brand matter?

Verde_Windsor

Hello everyone

I decide to ask this equation. Even if its might be the silly one...

Do brand of an air bag (air spring) matter? 

Does one better than the other in any way? How can you tell? 

I am in the middle of inspection of my air bags. As far as my records show,  my bus still wear originals.

I took one out, for a  closer inspection and to familiarize myself with how to. While having it in my hands - went to order a new one.

My bags don't leak. My bus stay straight. But I never really leaving it air'ed up ether. If it going to sit for few days, I always drop it down. Maybe I doing it wrong? Let me know please.  All bags look okay. Only upon closer inspection while having it on the workbench I could notice micro cracks in the rubber. Very similar to cracks on sidewall of the tires if you ever seen one. That makes me think. Is it time to change? 

On bus right now are - Firestone 1T15L -2  My local commercial truck supplier doesn't seem to be familiar with it. I did my own digging including reading parts catalog from this website. 

I manage to convince parts lady to order me Continental 99-12 P730. As far as my research take me... its a same airbag just bigger opening for an air line. But cost WAY more than some brand I never heard before. They tried to sell me Automann or something similar. I never heard of this name before. All I want is another 20 years of headache free service. 

Your insite much appreciated.

Greg.

Here is the parts page for the Airbag, which were Firestones. 

I bought 2 new Conitech 2 years ago to carry as spare.   I bought them from TruckandTrailer.Parts.  Best price I could find. 

~3 months ago I removed the front passenger side airbag to get a feeling on how hard it would be to replace and if I could do it on the road.  In my garage I used the front jack to lift the front end off the ground and put jack stands underneath.  Replacing the airbag wasn't that bad I think I can do it on the road. 

The air bag I removed still was in excellent condition.  I washed it up and inspected and packed it up to carry as a spare. 

I had some 6X6" drop pieces and found I can use these to block the rear.  A 4X4 will work in the front so I carry these.  "Just in case" 

1 Air Bag Chassis.pdf

• Like 1