2005 Diplomat source for radiator

Stuck in Tucson,Az. Looking for a source for radiator and CAC replacement for our 2005 Diplomat PAQ with a 400 ISL.  Cummins doing some minor repairs and we decided to pull the rad & CAC for a good cleaning. Radiator shop says they are both not repairable. La Mesa RV is supposed to be the Monaco dealer in this area but they can't seem to find a replacement

I purchased a radiator from Radiator Supply House in August 2023 for my 2006 Dip.  It was in stock and shipping took less than a week.  They had both all-aluminum and brass-copper versions available - I chose the brass/copper. They also had CACs in stock, but mine didn’t need replacing.  They will only sell to your tech; not directly to you, as they want the installer to handle warranty issues.

https://radiatorsupplyhouse.com/

Source Engineering is also a trusted and reliable source for radiators from Monaco. 

https://sourcerv.com/

There is a radiator shop out of Gadsden, AL (CG&J?) That has gotten mixed reviews from our members. Some have had a good experience, some have not. One member ended up replacing their radiator twice…

Call Source Engineering, they can get one from Radiator Supply House, who originally made them for Monaco. 

Below is a word of wisdom when sourcing a new radiator.

When I had to replace my radiator back in 2015 an OEM type radiator was quoted ~$7K (that was with Cummins 50% markup), I knew the manager and he agreed to let me source on.  Ended up getting one from CG&J for ~$2500, what a mistake that I've paid the price for.  Our first trip was in Oct 2015, it was cool but I did notice high tranny temps but blamed it on myself for not downshifting to get RPMS up on a long steep grade.  Then started building a house doing most of the work myself, working a consulting gig, COVID>>> so didn't take another trip until 2021 (don't ask).  But the first trip in June in hot weather I saw high temps tranny temps ~230F mostly when stuck in traffic on interstate and/or in the city after pulling off interstate and stuck in traffic.  Made it home but not fun. 

After getting home and parking rig, the very next day I found a small puddle of coolant under radiator, it was seeping on the front side.  Another member who had a CG&J radiator had the same thing happened and had used IRONTITE sealer (ya not the best option) which I did and that solved the seep problem. 

I then contacted CG&J and questioned how they sized the cooler, they couldn't tell me.  They did offer to sell me a supplemental cooler for ~$800 but I declined.  I had read of people using a Derale cooler, which I bought and installed and it worked great UNTIL it didn't.  In 2023 on trip to UT it leaked and I lost 3 gallons of fluid but luckily no apparent damage.  After bypassing the cooler I drove the rig, not temp issues and it seemed to shift properly, no codes.  Called a Allison shop and talked to a tech there and he said I got lucky, and that it was operating correctly with no codes or temps issues he said I was good to go.  I asked if I needed to come in for an oil/filter change, he said not, 3 gallons about 1/2 of the capacity.  But when I got home ~3K miles later I took and oil sample and it came back good.  I GOT LUCKY.

When I got home I contacted Derale, they did warranty the cooler, suggested my installation was at fault but I'm not convinced, the leak near the lower port was not under any weight or stress.  When I removed the hyd hose it hung loose with no stress on the port.  I had it zipped tied up all the way from tranny. 

So ended up going with a different cooler, bought a used one from Visione RV a large salvage yard.  Same cooler used on many rear radiator coaches, very stout built heavier with more cooling capacity due to size.  Paid $300.  I did install a fan with a thermo switch to turn on at ~145F but may be overkill.  Currently on a trip, crossed mountains in MT & WA and temp never went above 170F and usually stays in the 150 F range.

So with all of the above I would have been better off going with a OEM radiator, which are still sold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try Ice box radiators in Oregon.  They have had many different radiators and hydraulic coolers in stock for our Monaco's.  I had a leak in my Hydraulic cooler and they overnight one to me in Needles California.  Arrived less than 24 hours after my break down.  It was installed and we were on our way 26 hours after our breakdown.