2004 Endavor; Mixed up cabling on engine batteries. Help. Thanks.

bonfield

I have a 2006 Monaco Cayman.

i stopped for gas in a place in Mexico. The same thing happened to my coach: turned the ignition, just clicked and wouldn’t turn over.

Turned out that the nuts that held the cables onto the battery were not tight. Once tightened, the motor started just fine.

I’ll send pic of batteries as soon as I can.

R Whaley

Pretty hard to mess up putting 2 batteries in… 2 positive together and 2 negative together callus a small wire to a positive. Turn the headlights on and if they go out when you try to start, your new batteries need charging.

Edited by Ivylog

I just replaced my Endeavor's chassis batteries . . . . No pic but in addition to pos-pos and neg-neg jumpers (and the obvious big cables) there's 2 white wire harnesses to neg and 1 (or 2) red wire harnesses to pos.  When you tuck them out of the way it's easy to miss putting one back (I forgot the red wire harness).

I did put a charge on them before trying to start. 

- bob

6 hours ago, bonfield said:

Does anyone have a picture of the connections on the engine batteries 2 batteries.I have installed two new engine batteries and now the just clicks and wont turn over                                  2004 holiday rambler endeavor 40dst

Your manual has the diagram.  Look on page 8-329.  The batteries have to be IN PARALLEL.  NOW, what does your compartment look like.  THAT DEPENDS.  There is NO ANSWER or Picture that covers every MH....  It is BEST to label the cables...and take a picture...

Generically speaking.  The is PROBABLY ONE Positive cable.  It goes to the BACK Battery in the Chassis Bank.  If there were OTHERS, or smaller ones, then they can go on the Positive SIDE...doesn't matter front or rear battery.  They are in parallel as the JUMPER connects the FRONT to the REAR.

BUT what is IMPORTANT...  The JUMPER on the Positive Side must go from the BACK POSITIVE to the FRONT Positive.  ODDS ARE...you "goofed" on the jumpers.

Negative is the SAME.  Again, the LARGER NEGATIVE (and that assumes more than one.  Some have a SECOND....Others do NOT...  Put the LARGE Negative on the REAR Battery Neg terminal.  Then run the Jumper from REAR to FRONT (on the Negative side.

It is BETTER to check the manual.  It is also BETTER to understand the circuit.  A picture of my bank might be totally different....as Monaco had different cabling configurations for different coaches.

BUT, the GENERIC one in your MANUAL is how it should be done. 

You can have MULTIPLE Cables on the Positive SIDE as well as the Negative.  THE JUMPERS MUST ALWAYS BE FROM the SAME Post on the BACK to the SAME Post on the FRONT....one Jumper for NEGATIVE and one Jumper for Positive.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2004 Endavor; Mixed up cabling on engine batteries. Help. Thanks.