2005 Camelot ISL. How do you "TEST" or know that it is OK while driving?

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

I have a 2005 Camelot 40 pdq with 156k miles.
 I suspect my turbo is not working. I get some black smoke (small amount) when I climb a hill. Then smoke goes away. I am not hearing that familiar turbo wine  I am use to hearing when I accelerate. 
is there a way to Check the turbo while on the road ?

Dave

8 minutes ago, Marine Boy said:

No boost pressure gauge on dash?

I have 15% which is normal 

Just now, Dave Shackelford said:

Correction - 10 to 15% which is normal

I doubt that 15 psi is normal unless you are referring to level road driving and not pulling a grade as you stated in your first post. My Cummins ISC-350 was normally around 23-25 PSI. My now Cummins ISL-400-2 is in the 30's psi.

Edited by Dr4Film

6 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I doubt that 15 psi is normal unless you are referring to level road driving and not pulling a grade as you stated in your first post. My Cummins ISC-350 was normally around 23-25 PSI. My now Cummins ISL-400-2 is in the 30's psi.

7 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I have driven this MH for 20 years  and that has always been the readings

2 minutes ago, Dave Shackelford said:

Correction - 10 to 15% which is normal. 30 on my boost gauge would be fully pegged.

Not sure about the reference to percentage vs PSI. 15% of what? If you have black smoke, the engine is not getting enough air in reference to injected fuel. Could be air filter or leak in pressure side piping but there should still be noticeable decrease in the intake PSI reading, if there wasn't enough air to compress or VGT wasn't opening correctly. It is either not enough air or too much fuel from injector(s).

• Like 1

• Solution
39 minutes ago, Dave Shackelford said:

OK...since Richard pulled me into this...

FIRST.  It is suggested that you review several sections of the Manual.  Go to page 9-330.  That is a PICTURE of your instrument cluster.  There is also a description.

The TURBO BOOST gauge is calibrated or reads in PSI.  That is the amount of PRESSURE that the VGT (Turbine) is producing.  At idle...THAT IS LOW.  When you "GET ON IT", the Gauge should read HIGH.  HINT...the HIGHER the READING...the LOWER your MPG.  Some use it as FUEL economy gauge....if you are a GEAR HEAD, then you know that a car engine pulls Manifold Vacuum. The HIGHER the reading....the BETTER....as you don't have your FOOT in it.  When you accelerate rapidly....the vacuum reading drops...and it means....FLUSHING THE CARBURETOR.

Now, @Frank McElroy is the EXPERT HERE

BUT, you can also find the answer by GOOGLING.  We, the Moderating Staff, encourage that...  here is the best link.

I used "Normal Turbo Boost Cummins ISL Motorhome".  That Google search got a lot of hits.  Try it.

This one makes the most sense...and I remember it sort of mirrors mine...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/isl-400-normal-boost-value-129174.html

IF you have never seen upwards of 30 or above....and NOW see black smoke....time to go to a CUMMINS dealer or any DEALER that has the Cummins Insight Software and have the pull the DATA.  ODDS ARE....YOU GOT A PROBLEM.  NOW, we often get the question... My engine does THIS....and I have a Scanner and got XXXX Engine Code.  How do I FIX.  

The correct answer, for most folks.  YOU DO NOT.  You need a qualified TECH or someone with the Insight Software (it connects to the ENGINE) and find out WHAT is GOING ON...  What is NOT working right.  YES, we have members that have a LOT of Diesel Tech expertise and they "know what to do" or what to check

BUT, if your engine...on HARD acceleration has NEVER been that high... TIME FOR A QUALIFIED TECH to look at the print.  

NOW...  If you memory is like mine.... When a Tech Downloads the data or the files....there is at least ONE place that will tell you the MAX Boost....if MY memory is correct.

SO...that's my response....

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2005 Camelot ISL. How do you "TEST" or know that it is OK while driving?