Passenger side mirror temp fix

Here's an example of “necessity is the mother of invention”   Sometimes you have to think out of the box.

Driving through the Great Basin NP a branch jumped out and took out my side mirror. 

I was able to repair the shaft (so far it's working) by using JB Weld and adding some tubing in the wiring hole.  In hind site I should have just cut the wiring and bolted the two pieces together with a carriage bolt.  But for now the fix is working, yesterday I drove through some really high winds and it held.

I first tried using a ~5" round cosmetic mirror but it distorted the image too much.  I stopped at a NAPA in Ely NV and bought a rear view mirror you strap onto a truck mirror, took it apart and used just the mirror, I tore the motor drive that moves the mirror up/down and side to side out of the assembly leaving the rest in shape and then used foil taped to hold the mirror in place.  I first tape below it and then some around the perimeter.  The foil tape is pretty tacky and once in place it's pretty much there.  If this starts to come loose I stop and get a tube of Liquid nail.  The whole mirror will have to be replaced anyway so whatever I have to do to get home I'll do.  I also have to drive through CA and need mirrors. 

But I had a problem with the arm swinging out.  I tried to tighten  and/or  remove the two set screws but they wouldn't budge.  Initially I tired using tape but nope, not good enough.  I had to have something to support it and remembered I had an awning support for my Carefree awning.  It is adjustable in length and I was able to prop one end against the front door awning and hold it in place with a bungy.   The other end already had a U shaped end so I propped it against the mirror and used some tape to hold it in place.  This worked driving ~high winds so I think it will do the job.  

It ain't perfect but should get me home. 

Mirror replaced.jpg

Mirror support.jpg

Mirrror improvise.jpg

• Like 3

Jim, I am pretty sure I may have a "in good condition" complete head like yours. I will check when I get back to the office tomorrow. If interested send me an email at viperrrr@msn.com or call me at 321-427-6909 to discuss further.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, David Pratt said:

Jim, I am pretty sure I may have a "in good condition" complete head like yours. I will check when I get back to the office tomorrow. If interested send me an email at viperrrr@msn.com or call me at 321-427-6909 to discuss further.

Dave

I sent an email. 

Thanks