Slide topper support

2007 Safari Cheetah 42SFD

Has anyone seen a slide topper support like the one in the image attached.  This is on a 25 full wall slide.  This beast has a center support running the length of the slide.  The center support has 4 folding sections to support it.  Each folding support is attached to the slide, the center support and the side of the rig.  The folding supports consist of two tubes that slide together and then fold against the center support and the coach as the slide closes  Two of the folding supports have been coming apart when opening. The slide will not fully close when these supports are not closed properly.  The shadows you see in the attached image is where I have cut the awning to access the supports then applied mending tape.  I have applied silicone spray to the side supports and the hinge points on the center support and the rig.

Any suggestions?

What about just removing the support

7AECB0C8-5C19-4B31-846A-D01C9A2A496D_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.3eb9bd8416016ad8c9b7a974ae3de458.jpeg

1 hour ago, bobbylinn52 said:

2007 Safari Cheetah 42SFD

Has anyone seen a slide topper support like the one in the image attached.  This is on a 25 full wall slide.  This beast has a center support running the length of the slide.  The center support has 4 folding sections to support it.  Each folding support is attached to the slide, the center support and the side of the rig.  The folding supports consist of two tubes that slide together and then fold against the center support and the coach as the slide closes  Two of the folding supports have been coming apart when opening. The slide will not fully close when these supports are not closed properly.  The shadows you see in the attached image is where I have cut the awning to access the supports then applied mending tape.  I have applied silicone spray to the side supports and the hinge points on the center support and the rig.

Any suggestions?

What about just removing the support

7AECB0C8-5C19-4B31-846A-D01C9A2A496D_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.3eb9bd8416016ad8c9b7a974ae3de458.jpeg

My 25 foot slide is the same arrangement. I was told although Monaco and others stopped using this kind of support, that the topper will and does sag quite a bit if the support is removed. My only suggestion would be to remove the topper, which is not that difficult if you do it by removing the outside roller tube and laying it on the roof (search slideout / topper spring replacement fit the details,  or PM me).  At that point, you should have access to the mechanism for the support and you can repair it, whether by rivets or bolts or whatever the connectivity is for all the moving parts.  Chris  @throgmartin may have industry contacts in or around Missouri that could repair it, if you are not game to attempt the repair.  It may be a beast, not sure.

22 minutes ago, Steve P said:

My 25 foot slide is the same arrangement. I was told although Monaco and others stopped using this kind of support, that the topper will and does sag quite a bit if the support is removed. My only suggestion would be to remove the topper, which is not that difficult if you do it by removing the outside roller tube and laying it on the roof (search slideout / topper spring replacement fit the details,  or PM me).  At that point, you should have access to the mechanism for the support and you can repair it, whether by rivets or bolts or whatever the connectivity is for all the moving parts.  Chris  @throgmartin may have industry contacts in or around Missouri that could repair it, if you are not game to attempt the repair.  It may be a beast, not sure.

Steve, Thanks for the input.  I do not see anything that is broken or loose.  The part that keeps coming loose is a slip fit of two tubes nested, one in the other.  From watching the operation over many open an close cycles it appears the parts are not moving freely so then one side hangs up a little causing the opposing side to over extend and separate.  I really hated cutting the Stonevos fabric but it was that or do as you suggested, lay the roller tube on the roof and then spray silicone everywhere.  I have seen other Safari/Monaco units with the full wall slide but none had this support system and some did not have a topper.  Thanks again for the input and suggestions.

Linn:

That assembly is called a summit. It was a great idea by Carefree but they failed at the concept by using cheap hardware.

If it breaks or fails, you can remove it. Parts for the Summit have been long gone for years. If there is a way to repair that slip jpoimt I would do it before junking that portion of the assembly.

2 hours ago, throgmartin said:

If there is a way to repair that slip jpoimt I would do it before junking that portion of the assembly.

Cut a slot in the sliding pieces with a bolt through it so it can't slide out too far?

- bob

I would try Boeshield T 9 as a cleaning agent, and lubricant. NOT silicone. It attracts, & retains dirt, etc.

IF I had this issue, I would contact Girard and find out if they make a Slide out Topper this length.  I have seen their Topper on a Signature Noble III full wall slide, but I don't know the length of it. It would resolve your problem, Expensive but , like anything it's all about maintenance.

You may want to consider contacting https://www.truetopperusa.com/  and have a chat with them. 

They did a lot of R & D developing their product and may have some insight. Good luck. 

IF you do, please update your post so we all can benefit. 

T y.