The old 1200 norcold has died.

Kenster

Do you dry camp or "boondock". 

If not a residential is the way to go. 

If you  boondock you may consider a conversion to a 12 volt compressor type refrigerator using the current box.  https://jc-refrigeration.com/product/norcold-1200-1201-hvac-12v-dc-replacement-unit/

I installed a Samsung RF18 residential.  It works great, but it can be a challenge if I boondock.   Battery management is essential, and if necessary I have to run the generator right before bed.  I have also resorted to moving frozen gallon jugs of water to the refrigerator from the freezer and shutting off the inverter.   It stays cold all night and there's plenty of voltage in the morning.  Traveling from point A to B the alternator keeps battery charged so if I drive long days it works out good.  But short drives I'll have to run generator and/or use frozen gallon jugs. 

This was a great improvement over the Norcold.  No telling how much spoiled food we threw away over the years because of the Norcolds poor performance.

If your furnace is below the fridge then height of a residential might be a problem.  Some folk lower the fridge compartment's floor.

I do a LOT of boondocking and replaced our dead Norcold with a Dometic.  In Summer it's real iffy on keeping food cold, say below 38F.  Plus it takes DAYS if cooling from room temp, EMPTY.  We usually keep it cold 24x7 or stock it with cold items from the house fridge. 

Now I'm thinking I should have gone residential and invested in a LiFePO battery setup.  Lots of controversy on a battery conversion.  If the Dometic dies (and it probably won't) I'd go residential. 

- bob

• Like 1

I have the residential and I full-time boondock most of the time.

When I added the residential fridge I also added 400w of solar and that was just about right for the added load of the fridge. (I already had 800w of solar covering everything else).

As long as your batteries are in good shape you should be able to add the residential even if you boondock with GC2 batteries - although I would recommend to everyone to add more solar…

Lots of information on replacing the NotSoCold using various methods and different fridges going back over 12 years or more on this site. All you have to do is search for it. You will have hours upon hours of reading, photos, descriptions, etc. to ponder.

New TOPIC guidelines require a search FIRST.

Please do the search per he site rules.  Used Norcold Replacement. Click on everywhere….then TOPICS.

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Norcold replacement &quick=1&type=forums_topic

Click on the above.  FOUR Pages of posts covering a variety or rigs and different options.

Do a Search on Samsung Install. Then try many different key words.

Lots of topics.  Read and just about every question you might ask has been answered….plus all the tips.

Also do REFRIGERATOR as key word.  Then click files.  Several on HOW TO.I 

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?&q=Refrigerator &type=downloads_file&quick=1&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Then come back and post if questions or nuances.

Thanks in advance for using the search function…..and following guidelines…..we all learn